SEQ Catchments is excited to announce the refunding of the Regional Landcare Facilitator (RLF) project in SEQ by the Australian Government for a period of five years (2013-18). Apanie Wood has returned to the position of RLF and is looking forward to working with the Landcare community across SEQ. Apanie looks forward to providing SEQ farmers, land managers and community groups with quality training opportunities and information over this period.
Regional Landcare Facilitator Activities
The Regional Landcare Facilitator carries out a number of activities to support the Landcare community and to promote sustainable agriculture to farmers and land managers across the region. This is achieved by;
- Delivering information about new innovations in sustainable agriculture and best practice and facilitating the share of information across the region
- Advising land managers and community groups of emerging issues and threats (e.g. weeds)
- Improving the distribution of information regarding private and public funding opportunities for Landcare groups
- Providing support to Landcare groups for workshops and training activities
- Partnering with groups to provide training, information products and workshops for landholders in sustainable agriculture and natural resource management
2013-2014 activities included:
- Coordination of the Happy horses on healthy lands program: providing training opportunities and advice on sustainable horse property management
- Weeds surveillance and management training to community group members
- Sustainable grazing workshops for cattle properties
- Sustainable agriculture information stands at Maleny Wood Expo, Brookfield show and Logan Eco Action Festival
- Partnering with the Queensland Dairy Organisation to provide information on irrigation efficiency to SEQ dairy farmers
- Supporting a bus tour to Brymaroo for salinity affected landholders from the Roadvale region to inspect a trail de-watering site
- Bringing RegenAG to tour SEQ and share documentaries showcasing innovating farming in Latin America
- Developed a 'Resource Kit for Landcare' where Landcare groups can access a comprehensive range of information relevant to Landcare from a centralised location
- Property Management Planning workshops and development of Property Management Planning communication materials.
- ACDC Chemical Accreditation training course for Landcare members
- Growing Landcare Leaders workshop
- Sustainable Grazing workshops
- Soil health and composting workshops
- Sustainable horse property management program
- Cattle nutrition workshops
- Managing creek and gully erosion field day
- Information sessions on Best Management Practice for Commercial Turf Production at the Turf Qld members workshops
- Fire Property Management Planning training
- 7 natural resource management workshops across South East Queensland, ranging from grant writing to restoring habitat.
- Supporting 5 speakers at the 2012 QLD Landcare Conference in Brisbane
- and much more...